Today I’m sharing 15 simple ways I invest in my health and happiness… pursuing my interest in cooking and eating well is just one of them! I don’t have all the answers of course (even my kids are old enough to know this now!), but practicing the following helps me to feel and function at my best.
- I exercise every day… often intensely (running, dancing or spinning), as well as at a slower, gentler pace (like walking my dog, running errands using my bike, or yoga in my backyard).
- I spend time outdoors and connect with nature each day… in all weather and each season.
- I meditate daily, even if all I have is a few minutes.
- Instead of eating three larger meals every day, I enjoy several small meals or healthy snacks and don’t eat after dinner.
- I avoid sugar and simple carbohydrates and try to eat mindfully.
- I try to practice forgiveness and to keep an open mind and heart.
- I set goals for myself: short-term, medium-term, and long-term ones and hold myself accountable to them.
- I try to have realistic expectations of myself and others.
- I make time for my interests and am open to new ones.
- I invest in the relationships I cherish.
- I wear sunscreen year round.
- Where possible, I adhere to a sleep schedule.
- I strive to teach and learn something new every day.
- A serious person by nature, I’m trying to laugh more, have more fun, and do a little more flying by the seat of my pants!
- The older I get, the faster time seems to go. This impresses upon me, the importance to spending our time well, of making a difference, and of enjoying more moments as they unfold. I’m a big believer in practicing kindness, in listening well, in spontaneity, and in keeping it simple.